My Moments to Breathe

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Finding a cure

Yes I am still alive, just haven't had time to get on here and write. The last week has been crazy busy and now I am sick. UGH. Sick. Again.

Angie and Stacie came from Michigan on Thursday night so that we could have a wonderful "schnister" weekend. And boy what a weekend it was...



It started with our annual Halloween party/scavenger hunt. (This is a picture from the hunt. Challenge: picture of your team with a person in uniform...) We avenged Hartford for awhile, it was NOT an easy task! I am so geeked about being Thor, who wouldn't want to be the god of thunder and come all the way from asgard to help her team, am I right?! I had so much fun and was still feeling pretty good at this point so why not enjoy everyone at the party and all the pictures we were able to capture And HAHA there were some good pictures! Thanks for everyone who made this night one not to forget. 

Then onto Saturday night and the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation's Breathe of Life Gala at the Harley Davidson Museum in Milwaukee. One night we are avenging a town....the next we are trying to find a cure. 



It was a good time getting ready and all dolled up in order to enjoy a special night with some of my favorite people...and all while supporting my favorite cause!! There were so many wonderful people at the event. I was surprised how many people had remembered me from 2 years ago, it was very humbling. I chalk it all up to the cute little girl sitting behind me on that bike up there. Everyone wants to see that her have her mother for as long as she can. And really I want that too.

But this year was Jeremy's year. I didn't have to talk or have a panic attack because he did all the work! He was the guest speaker and he did such a wonderful job. One lady came up to us and said she joined the CF board after his talk. The director said it was the best speech she heard in the 25 years she had done it. Another gave me a kiss and wished both of us luck. Here is a little bit of the big guys speech:


"Living with CF sucks.  There’s no getting around it.  I can’t imagine what it feels like.  I don’t know what it’s like to wake up in the middle of the night not being able to breathe.  I don’t know what it’s like to cough up a cup of blood.  I don’t know what it’s like to face the idea of having a lung transplant that, even if successful, doesn’t mean a new lease on life.

Truly I don’t know what it’s like to have CF.  But I am here tonight because I do know what it’s like to listen to the woman you’ve known and loved since high school gasp…literally gasp for air…because the workload of sleep was too much for her lungs.  I know what it’s like to look at her and feel helpless; to feel scared out of my mind, and just be sad—but not be able to show any of it.

I know what it’s like to lie to my wife every day.  To tell her that she’s going to live longer than me.  To tell her that the reason I drink so much is because of stress at work.  To tell her that I’m not scared about the prospect of raising my hellion of a 3 year old on my own.  To out and out lie and tell her that I’m not scared or sad at all and that I don’t think about my 29 year old wife dying a scary, bloody death from suffocation.

I’m here tonight because I know what it’s like to need help, but instead always be the helper.  So tonight I am asking you for your help.  I don’t want you to come and help with washing the dishes or folding the laundry.  Your pity and your sympathy are great and appreciated, but I really don’t want them, either.  Really and truly, I just want your money."


Needless to say, it was a tear jerker. And now here it is Wednesday night and I have been sick since Sunday. I am pretty sure it is a mix between a cold and a flu. But I have been down for the count in a messy house and not being able to do much but sleep. I am hoping tomorrow I will be feeling good, since next week I am going into Laila's school and doing aCF talk. But even though I am a sick sick girl I did start part of another check off the ol' 100 list all thanks to many Sun Prairie girls....keep reading!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Cassie! I read your blog all the time and more than once it has left me teary eyed at my desk. Your husband's speech was amazing! Just wanted to say hello & let you know that you're an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete